Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to replace an old threshold.
1 Remove old threshold from doorway using hammer and reciprocating saw.
2 Use reciprocating saw to cut the nails securing toekick; remove toekick.
3 Test-fit new threshold in doorway.
4 Build up toekick and subfloor with pressure-treated lumber; re-install toekick.
5 Apply bead of tri-polymer caulk to joint between finished floor and new threshold.
6 Install new threshold, then tap shims underneath.
7 Close door and check for even gap along threshold.
8 Open door, and apply expanding polyurethane sealant under the threshold.
9 Close the door, then tap shims between door bottom and top of threshold; leave shims in place until the sealant cures.
10 Sand threshold, then finish with an exterior paint or stain and topcoat that contains a ultra-violet protector.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades