Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to repair a baluster.
1. Set one half of busted baluster in routing jig.
2. Use plunge router to cut a 3/8-inch-diameter by 1 ½-inch-deep dowel hole into the broken end of the baluster.
3. Remove first half of baluster from the jig, insert the second half and rout the mating dowel hole.
4. Squeeze glue into the holes in the balusters.
5. Insert the hardwood dowel halfway into one of the holes.
6. Push the baluster halves tightly together, making sure the parts are properly aligned.
7. Install baluster in staircase balustrade, and secure it with 8d finishing nails.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades