This rustic floating shelf project is one of the easiest pallet jobs that l have ever done. Floating shelves look great as there aren't any shelving brackets visible, which makes the whole look very streamlined. My floating bookshelf also has the added feature of movable bookends with a handmade wooden nut!
- One length of pallet wood
- One old hardwood fence paling
- Two bolts at 150mm long. One is for the moveable bookend and the other is cut off short (about 25mm or an inch long) to act as a 'dummy' bolt for the bookend that doesn't move. It's there just for looks and to match up with the other moveable bookend.
- One length of 4 x 4. I used an old hardwood fence post that was being thrown out. This is for the bookends and the wooden nut.
- One 250ml tin of clear, satin varnish.
- One day, which takes into account drying time for the varnish.
- Relatively easy for the novice.
I would love to see your version of my rustic floating shelf! Please feel free to upload some pics to my DIY For Knuckleheads Facebook Page, or down in the comments below, for all of us to admire.
If you're worried about hitting the wrong spot in the wall, check out my video for finding a wall stud.
And if you don't like the floating look, here's how to hang a shelf with brackets.
Till next time, happy building!
Uncle Knackers :-)
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades