Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to install a handrail.
1 Stand 4-foot level on first step and hold it plumb.
2 Mark the level where it meets top of second step.
3 Calculate height of handrail and mounting brackets; mark bracket height on level.
4 Use level to mark bracket height on wall at top and bottom of staircase.
5 Snap chalk line to connect the two wall marks.
6 Using electronic stud finder, mark wall studs at top, middle and bottom of staircase.
7 Drill 7/64 inch-diameter screw pilot holes on chalk line and into studs.
8 Screw the mounting brackets to the wall studs.
9 Cut handrail to length, mitering the ends to 45 degrees.
10 Glue and nail a mitered return to each end of the handrail.
11 Prime and paint, or stain and/or varnish the handrail.
12 Once dry, screw handrail to mounting brackets.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades