Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to install a deadbolt lock.
1 Position paper template on door edge; mark center holes on face and edge.
2 Drill face hole using hole saw; drill from both sides to prevent splintering.
3 Drill edge hole with spade bit.
4 Insert deadbolt into edge hole and mark its outline.
5 Chisel out mortise for deadbolt.
6 Screw deadbolt to edge of door.
7 Screw deadbolt mechanism to door, with keyed cylinder on the outside and turn lever on inside.
8 Mark end of deadbolt with felt-tip pen.
9 Close the door, throw bolt to leave mark on doorjamb.
10 Use strike plate to mark deadbolt hole on doorjamb.
11 Drill deadbolt hole in jamb with spade bit.
12 Use utility knife to mark mortise outline for strike plate.
13 Cut strike plate mortise with chisel.
14 Set strike plate in jamb mortise and secure with long screws.
15 Close door and test deadbolt.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades