Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to fix a squeaky carpet.
1 Use a hammer to locate a floor joist within the squeaky section of floor.
2 Tap the carpeted floor with the hammer and listen for dull thud, indicating a joist below.
3 Chuck the joist-finding screw into the drill/driver.
4 Drill a hole through carpeting and subfloor and into the joist; if you miss the joist, move over a couple of inches and try again.
5 Once you find a floor joist, measure over 16 inches and locate the next joist.
6 Press the tripod-shaped alignment and depth control fixture firmly into the carpet directly over the joist.
7 Use the drill/driver to drive a scored screw down through center of fixture until the screw bottoms out.
8 Drive screws into all the joists within the squeaky section at both ends of the room.
9 Run taut strings from screw head to screw head across the room, indicating the joists below.
10 Using the alignment and depth control fixture, drive scored screws along the strings spaced 8 inches apart.
11 Hook the screw gripper on the fixture onto each protruding screw, then rock the fixture back and forth to snap off the screw head.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades