Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to install landscape steps.
1 Drive 1x2 stake into ground, then use straightedge and level to find height of top step; mark height on stake.
2 Use level to find height of grade at bottom; mark height on stake.
3 Measure between the two pencil marks to determine total height of all steps.
4 Dig two trenches at bottom for installing 6x6 sleepers flush with grade.
5 Use a circular saw and handsaw to cut 3-foot-long sleepers from a 6x6 timber.
6 Treat cut ends of sleepers with wood preservative.
7 Drill two 9/16-inch-diameter holes through the sleepers; position the holes 6 in. from each end.
8 Set sleepers in trenches, making sure they're level with the surrounding grade.
9 Use sledgehammer to drive 48-inch-long rebar through the holes in the sleepers and into the ground.
10 Set two 6x6 treads on top of the sleepers, forming the first step.
11 Place sleepers on top of first sleepers to support the second step.
12 Fasten the timbers to the sleepers with 10-inch-long landscaping screws.
13 Backfill around sleepers with pea gravel.
14 Continue adding 6x6 sleepers and 6x6 treads for each of the remaining steps.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades