These three videos will show you how to build a rustic, distressed kitchen table. I'll be walking you through the process of selecting some recycled timber from a junk pile, and with a little care and some simple joinery techniques, transform that waste timber into a distressed timber kitchen or dining table. In fact, you could use the table for whatever you wanted really.
You'll see how to cut the timber using a drop saw, assemble the table using a biscuit joiner, glue and clamps, sand the table down, paint the table, and then finally—applying the polyurethane. I was very happy with the end result. It's a great DIY project and it would take the average DIYer no more than a weekend to complete.
- Drop saw - for cutting the timber to length
- Biscuit joiner - for joining the table together
- Orbital sander - for sanding the timber down
- Sandpaper - 120 grit, 180 grit and 240 grit
- Clamps - for clamping the table together when glued
- PVA woodworking glue
- Cordless drill - for installing screws (l used 40mm screws) to the underside of the rails.
- Paint - sample pot (250ml) for the color and oil-based polyurathane (500ml is just enough for three coats) for the clear protective layer
- Paintbrush - one for applying the color (It doesn't need to be a high quality brush) and one for the polyurathane (this DOES need to be good quality brush)
- Mineral Turpentine - for cleaning the brush used for the polyurethane
Together, this whole project costs only $75.00. The breakdown is as follows:
- Sandpaper $10.00
- Polyurathane: $25.00
- Glue $2.00
- Sample pots: $10.00
- Paintbrushes: $30.00
- TOTAL: $75.00
If l was to do it again, l would use two more G-clamps to make the assembling process a little easier and l would use screws underneath the tabletop to help secure the tabletop to the framework. I actually did this as an afterthought and it worked a treat. I would do this during the assembling / gluing process.
Thanks for watching!
Cheers, Uncle Knackers
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.