These three videos will show you how to build a rustic, distressed kitchen table. I'll be walking you through the process of selecting some recycled timber from a junk pile, and with a little care and some simple joinery techniques, transform that waste timber into a distressed timber kitchen or dining table. In fact, you could use the table for whatever you wanted really.
You'll see how to cut the timber using a drop saw, assemble the table using a biscuit joiner, glue and clamps, sand the table down, paint the table, and then finally—applying the polyurethane. I was very happy with the end result. It's a great DIY project and it would take the average DIYer no more than a weekend to complete.
- Drop saw - for cutting the timber to length
- Biscuit joiner - for joining the table together
- Orbital sander - for sanding the timber down
- Sandpaper - 120 grit, 180 grit and 240 grit
- Clamps - for clamping the table together when glued
- PVA woodworking glue
- Cordless drill - for installing screws (l used 40mm screws) to the underside of the rails.
- Paint - sample pot (250ml) for the color and oil-based polyurathane (500ml is just enough for three coats) for the clear protective layer
- Paintbrush - one for applying the color (It doesn't need to be a high quality brush) and one for the polyurathane (this DOES need to be good quality brush)
- Mineral Turpentine - for cleaning the brush used for the polyurethane
Together, this whole project costs only $75.00. The breakdown is as follows:
- Sandpaper $10.00
- Polyurathane: $25.00
- Glue $2.00
- Sample pots: $10.00
- Paintbrushes: $30.00
- TOTAL: $75.00
If l was to do it again, l would use two more G-clamps to make the assembling process a little easier and l would use screws underneath the tabletop to help secure the tabletop to the framework. I actually did this as an afterthought and it worked a treat. I would do this during the assembling / gluing process.
Thanks for watching!
Cheers, Uncle Knackers
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades