Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to make deck stairs.
1 Determine the width of each stair tread.
2 Use 4-foot level and tape measure to find the total rise of the staircase.
3 Divide total rise by number of steps to find height of each riser.
4 Set framing square and straightedge to height of riser and width of stair tread.
5 Use framing square to mark saw-tooth pattern of steps onto a pressure-treated 2x12.
6 Notch the stringer with a circular saw, being careful not to saw beyond the cut lines.
7 Finish cutting the stringer with a handsaw.
8 Use first stringer as a template to mark the remaining stringers.
9 Trim upper, rear edge of each stringer the thickness of the risers.
10 Trim bottom end of each stringer the thickness of the treads.
11 Fasten the first and last stringers to the deck frame with L-brackets.
12 Fasten the intermediate stringers with 3-inch decking screws driven through the deck frame and into the rear of the stringers.
13 Attach risers to stringers with 3-inch decking screws.
14 Install 4x4 railing posts with 3-inch screws.
15 Use jigsaw to notch treads to fit around railing posts.
16 Fasten treads to stringers with decking screws.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades