Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to put a deck over a concrete step.
1. Cut PVC trim boards to wrap around stoop using circular saw.
2. Counterbore holes in PVC trim with ½-inch-diameter spade bit.
3. Apply foam adhesive to back of trim.
4. Run bead of hot-melt glue across miter joints and press trim board against stoop.
5. Drill holes through each counterbore and into the concrete for tap-in masonry anchors.
6. Attach trim boards to concrete with masonry anchors; tap in anchors with hammer, then finish with a nail set
7. Use a drill and ½-inch-diameter plug cutter to cut plugs from PVC trim.
8. Install plugs into the counterbored holes using hot-melt glue; trim the plugs flush with a sharp chisel.
9. Attach the wood-composite decking to the top of the concrete stoop using the same masonry anchors.
10. Conceal each anchor in decking with a plug cut from a composite decking board.
11. Sweep decking clean of all debris.
It’s Black Friday week on WonderHowTo! Don’t miss out on all of the big sales in the Gadget Hacks and Null Byte shops. And if you’ve been wanting to take some classes without going into debt, check out our best deals on online courses for a variety of skill sets. Don’t miss out on these huge discounts: