Watch this video from This Old House to learn how add stairway headroom.
1 Carefully pry old stair treads from staircase.
2 Use reciprocating saw to cut out the old stair stringers.
3 Cut new notched stringers from 2x12s using a circular saw; finish cuts with handsaw.
4 Attach metal hanger plates to top of each stringer.
5 Nail metal timber hangers to bottom of each stringer.
6 Set new stringers into stairway opening.
7 Fasten top of stringers by nailing through hanger plates and into header.
8 Secure bottom end of stringers by nailing through the timber hangers.
9 Nail new risers to stringers.
10 Rip old treads down to fit new stringers.
11 Nail the stair treads to the stringers.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades